Thanks for Stopping By

Welcome to my blog, Pastoral Parenting. I hope to share with you some things I have learned as a parent and from my studies in pastoral care and developmental psychology.

Parenting is the hardest job in the world for which we receive no formal training. I like to say we are all raised by unskilled labor! We are taught to attach closely to our newborns, but once we have--and have fallen deeply in love--no one ever tells us that it is just as important to learn how to detach and let them go.

I also write a weekly reflection on Scripture called "Come and See" and I often incorporate parenting topics into these reflections. They are written from my vantage point as a Christian, but I try to make my writing universally applicable, the way I believe Christ wants me to. This blog will rely on our common Spirit--no preaching, just sharing the love.

By way of disclaimer, I am not a licensed therapist. I have a Master of Arts degree in Spiritual and Pastoral Care from Loyola University in Maryland and wrote my thesis on Pastoral Parenting. In a phrase, I use my head, but speak from my heart. I also believe that a healthy sense of humor goes a long way to help keep us sane, so I hope to share some of that as well. If you or your child is really struggling, I strongly encourage you to seek the help of a family therapist.

Blessings on you and your children!

Friday, September 23, 2011

First post (my version of a disclaimer!)

I must admit I am bit a loath to be doing this blog thing. It seems kind of narcisstic. I am reminded of the title of David Brinkley's autobiography, "Everyone is Entitled to My Opinion."  I have had this blog title for over a year now, and I really do hope it can create community and a place for people to share ideas and encouragement.  Please be patient as I stumble through this (as I am with Facebook now too!)  I am not sure I am the target audience for this type of technology!

No comments:

Post a Comment